Raydon, or Rienduna
This property appears to have passed as the following parish of Shelley, and to
have continued in the same proprietary.
A considerable part of the parish, and the manor of Raydon, belonged to Sir
William Beaumauris Rush, whose daughter married to Dr. Edward Daniel Clarke, the
In the church of Raydon, is a tablet, against the north wall, erected to the
memory of John Mayer, D.D., who was rector of this parish 35 years. He was the
author of several works upon the English catechism, Expositions upon the New
Testament, &c. He died March 5th, 1063, in the 82nd year of his age.
The Rev. Richard Fisher Belward, D.D., of this parish, was Master of Gonville
and Caius College, Cambridge, to which he was elected in 1795, having been many
years public tutor of that society: B.A., in 1769; M.A., 1772; and S.T.P., by
mandate, in 1796. Dr. Belward assumed that name for a family estate, in the
county of Norfolk: he died here, May 16th, 1803, aged 57 years.
CHARITIES. The Rev. John Nayler, D.D., in or about the year 1663,
charged, by his will, his lands in this parish, with the payment of 10s. a year
to the minister, and 40s. a year to be laid out in bread, and distributed among
the poor. A cottage and garden, in the parish of Higham, were given by Thomas
Glanville, in or about the year 1725; the rents thereof to be divided between
five poor widows, of each of the parishes of Raydon, Higham, and Holton. These
premises are let at £3 a year, and the rent distributed accordingly.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page