Shelli or Shelleighe
The manor of Shelley belonged to the family of Tateshale. In the 1st of Edward
L, Robert de Tateshale died seized of it; and in the time of Henry IV., John de
Orby and Adam Blyston, held it of the King, in capite, at the annual rent
of 20d., as formerly belonging to Robert de Tateshale.
John de Ingham held a lordship in this parish, about 1272; of the barony of
Tibenham, in Norfolk, the inheritance of the Tateshale family.
In the 5th of King Edward IV., John L'Estrange, of the city of Norwich, Esq.,
grandson and heir of John L'Estrange, Esq., of Hunstanton, in Norfolk, and
Alice, his wife, daughter of Nicholas Bemant, of Pakenham, in this county, and
of Maud, his wife, sister of Nicholas Pike, deceased, late of Colchester, in
Essex, released all his right in this manor, to Sir John Howard, John Clopton,
and others, in trust.
He died in 1476, without issue; and Henry L'Estrange, his brother, succeeded: he
married Catherine, daughter of Roger Drury, of Hawstead, in this county, Esq.;
and died in 1483, seized of manors in Pakenham and Stowlangtoft, in this county.
In the 9th of King Edward II., the Hall was the seat of John de Appleby; and
afterwards it came to the Knightly family of Tilney, who also held considerable
estates in Stonham Aspal, East Bergholt, Cowlinge, and Hadleigh. Sir Frederick
Tilney was the last of the name in Shelley: he married a daughter of Sir Francis
Needham, of Barking, Knt., and sold the estate, about 1627, to Thomas Kerrick,
Esq., who married a daughter of Sir Martin Lumley, of Bardfield Magna, in Essex,
Bart. He served the office of High Sheriff of Suffolk, in 1647.
It afterwards passed into the family of Rush, by purchase, and is now the
property of Sir William B. Rush.
ARMS. Tateshale: cheque, or and gules; a chief, ermine.
L'Estrange: gules; two lyoncels passant, argent. Tilney: argent; a chevron
between three griffins' heads, erased, gules.
The church was impropriated to the Abbey of Battle, in Sussex; and, at the
dissolution, the impropriation, and the lands called "Kernelscroft," and
"Wytherseys,"otherwise "Gerwayes," were granted to Lawrence Baskervile and
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page